Sunday, January 29, 2017

My Education

My diploma! (Complete with a sticky note from a friend
I used to work with in the Transfer Credit office at UVU).
I’ve been reflecting on my educational experience a lot lately which is understandable since I just graduated in December. I’ve come to the conclusion that I have been very lucky when it comes to education, but I’ve also worked really hard, and even though it may not seem like it, those two conclusions coexist quite well. It all comes down to choices really, like most things in life.


I hadn’t really ever considered going to UVU until I went on a college tour with ETS the summer before my senior year of high school. On the tour, I was super impressed with the school in general, but I was really impressed by the students that I talked to while I was on campus, and I loved the energy there. I applied, thinking that I would still choose to go to Utah State but wanting to keep my options open. Eventually, when it was time for me to decide, I just knew I was supposed to go to UVU. I didn’t know any other girls going there, and I was kind of glad. I was ready for a new beginning. I declared English as my major when I applied, and I never regretted it.


I met Ty the day before I started classes, and that was one of the greatest gifts UVU gave me. Ty is the perfect partner for me, and if I had gone to Utah State, I would have missed out on the richest and most fulfilling relationship I’ve ever had. I also wouldn’t have had such amazing roommates. I didn’t know any of them before I moved in, but I was lucky enough to be surrounded by kind and fun girls who became dear friends in just a short amount of time.


I received a comprehensive education at UVU. I earned my AS and BS degrees, but beyond that I learned about the importance of listening intently to opinions and arguments that are different from my own. I was amazed by the diversity in my classes. There were so many people from such vastly different lives, and I have to admit that I was a little surprised to find that in Utah County. It was inspiring to talk to the nontraditional students in my classes, and I will be forever grateful for those experiences that served to enrich my educational experience.


There were so many little things that made my collegiate career better than I thought it would be. I got a job working on campus and met some really awesome people that way. I was never waitlisted and took every class I wanted to. I always had respectful and skilled professors. I never took a class with more than 50 students in it. When I bought books for my last semester, the person at the bookstore let me go to the front of the line because I had my seven month old baby with me. These were little things, but they really enhanced my education and solidified my loyalty. UVU forever!


One of the very best “little things” is that I was able to graduate debt free. It was really hard. We had to be super mindful of our spending and work instead of taking fun vacations and travelling a lot, but I am so glad we did. I learned a lot of lessons about needs versus wants and about being happy with my choices. I chose to work and put that money into school instead of other things, and that is a choice that I felt I needed to own. I tried not to be speak negatively about how we chose to spend our money because even though it was painful at times, it’s a choice we made together that was ultimately the right way for us to go.

More than anything though, I am glad that I got my degree because I accomplished a goal. I have always wanted to graduate from college, and I did. I know that this accomplishment will make me a better mother. It strengthened my faith in myself and reminded me that I can do hard things, and I can do them well. I hope that my example will impress the importance of education upon my children. I know that my education has made me a better person, and I’m excited to pay it forward and share that with those I come in contact with. Nothing can stand in my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment