Wednesday, March 26, 2014

My Mission


I consider myself fully committed to the gospel of Jesus Christ when I was fifteen. From that time forward, I thought I would serve a mission, and I tried to prepare myself for that experience. My plan for my future was simple: graduate high school, graduate college with a Bachelor’s degree in English (hopefully in three years thanks to some AP and distance education credits), go on a mission, come back and work in the editing and publishing field, and find my prince charming. Then, obviously, I would marry him in the temple and start a family. I hoped that these years would also include study abroad and humanitarian trips as well. When President Monson announced that young women could serve a mission at nineteen, I was thrilled. It changed my plan, but with a little juggling, I was confident that I could still accomplish all the things on my list.

I graduated from high school with a “good riddance” attitude. I was ready to embark on the real adventures my life would bring. I moved away from home with the plan that I would go to college for one semester, move back in with my parents at Christmas, and then leave on my mission as soon as possible. I only signed a housing contract for four months, in order to ensure the fruition of my flawless plan. My heart was pretty well sealed, and I was ready for life to begin (cue Tangled music). My third day in Orem, I met Tyler Johns. My first impression was that he was cute, but after hanging out with him for several hours I knew that he was also hilarious and fun and had a depth that I hadn’t encountered in a man before. Over the next few weeks, I spent a lot of time with Tyler and his roommates. We had so much fun, and I was grateful for such good friends. My mission papers had been started before I moved to Orem, but all of a sudden, I couldn’t finish them. Every time I sat down to finish my papers, I had a stupor of thought, and I just couldn’t do it. Tyler took me on our first date on September 14th. By the end of the night, I knew I wanted to marry someone like him. By the 18th, I knew I didn’t want someone like him, I wanted him.

First Date
Country Swing Dancing
The week after Tyler and I went on our first date was such a whirlwind. Tyler didn’t want to waste his time on me if I was going to serve a mission. I could turn my papers in on October 1st. I prayed fervently. I studied. I knew I was supposed to pursue a relationship with Tyler, and I felt peace. Even after I received that witness, I wondered a little. One day, as I was questioning the path I had chosen, I heard a voice in my head say, “Ashley, there is nothing you want more than an eternal family. Your Heavenly Father put you and Tyler together knowing that was your righteous desire. What’s your hang up? Timing?” Then, a quote from Elder Neal A. Maxwell spoke peace to my heart; it says something like, “Faith in God includes faith in his timing.” Life didn’t immediately get easier after this experience, but I felt so peaceful and comforted, and I didn’t worry anymore.

Me with Makell
She's going to be an awesome missionary in
Tallahassee, Florida!
My family was supportive of my choice as soon as they got to meet Tyler, but true to the good parents that they are, my parents wanted me to be sure. One day, my dad said, “I think this is great, and we love you both. Just let me ask, are you going to get a few years down the road and regret the things you chose not to do? Will you wish that you had made a different choice?” I pondered that and knew the answer. “No, Dad. I think of my future, and there is nothing I would rather do than marry Tyler Johns.”

I’ve been reflecting on this since one of my dear friends is entering the MTC today. She’s amazing, and I have many friends that are serving now or preparing to leave. I’m so happy for them. I am so grateful for their examples. I’m simultaneously happy that I’m on my mission. Because the moment I was sealed to Tyler, my eternal mission began. I get to be a wife, and someday I hope to be a mother. I’m so happy with my mission. I’m not preaching the gospel to people in a foreign land, but I am on a mission, and I'm so happy with my call.


1 comment:

  1. Let me clarify and expound on "Tyler didn’t want to waste his time on me if I was going to serve a mission."

    I didn't want to be in a relationship with a missionary when there are plenty of girls to date in Utah. I would have loved to date Ash when she got back, if I was still single, but I never thought that committing myself to a missionary would be a good idea for me.

    ReplyDelete