Wednesday, April 23, 2014

The Best Easter Yet


I love Easter. When I was living with my parents, Easter was characterized by cute decorations, colorful eggs, an exciting basket of goodies, and yummy candy. I also found that it was surrounded by gratitude, a Jesus wall, and meaningful lessons and discussions about the atonement. I am a little embarrassed to say that this year Easter snuck up on me. I guess that with impending finals and the general busyness of life, I just didn’t think about it. I was grateful for the LDS videos and #becauseofhim that started showing up on social media sites. It’s always nice to see something positive and uplifting on my news feed.

Tyler and I had another unique experience on Friday. We were able to attend Handel’s Messiah performed by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir at the Tabernacle on Temple Square. It was phenomenal. Music has such a strong ability to invite the spirit and convey messages of peace, hope, and redemption. There is no doubt in my mind that Handel was divinely inspired when he wrote that piece. It was almost three hours long, and by the time we got home, I was exhausted. I was shocked to find that the Easter Bunny had found our house a few days early.


Making plans for Easter was like having a root canal--there’s never a good time, and it’s not exactly pleasant. Tyler and I have awesome families, and in a lot of ways, that makes splitting time between them more difficult. Luckily everyone is understanding, and on Thursday night, we finally figured out our plans. My parents and siblings were coming to the valley on Saturday morning, so they elected to come hang out with us for the weekend. It was wonderful to have them with us in our two bedroom apartment. Thanks to some hand-me-down couches from my aunt and uncle, only two people (out of nine) had to sleep on the floor.
This is what happens when
you dare a 14-year-old to
stick his head out the window
like a dog.

On Saturday, the girls went to a bridal shower, and then all of us (except for Tyler) went shopping and moved our (sort of) new couches from Andrew and Jessica’s to our house. In an effort to give Tyler some peace so he could finish his homework and attend a bachelor party, we went shopping and ate dinner at J Dawgs. When we got home, the real fun began, at least for me. My mom was so generous and loaded us up with groceries, so we put the food away while the Easter Bunny went to work. Jonny was itching to hunt for eggs, and it was so cute to watch him. As soon as Tyler got home, we all went egg hunting in our back yard. I loved having my family there, but in some ways, it made me miss them more. Our egg hunt was a great success, and we topped the evening off with tons of candy, nachos, beef stick and cheese, popcorn, and What’s Up Doc? a classic that many of my siblings had not had the privilege of watching.

Sunday was a beautiful day. It was different to sit on the same bench as my siblings again. I have gotten used to just being a twosome more quickly than I thought I would. The lessons were good as usual, and Tyler got another calling, so we’re excited about that. Dinner was a lot fancier with my mom at the helm than when it’s just Tyler and me. We had a ham and delicious sides for dinner, but I did head up dessert which consisted of homemade ice cream and homemade cones (I told you I would use my pizzelle maker, Tyler!). It was a fun, busy, and full weekend. I was glad I could connect with my siblings. They are my dearest friends, and I love them so much.



After they left, and we were alone again, Tyler said that this was the best Easter yet. It was for me too. It is cliche to say that everything is better and happier and brighter once you’re married, but it’s also true. Since I married Tyler, I have an even stronger conviction that families are the best. It’s easier to understand why they are at the center of our Father’s plan. I know that my Father in Heaven loves me for many reasons, but one of those reasons is because I was led to Tyler Johns, and we are in the process of establishing our own eternal family. Inexplicable joy comes from that knowledge. I love him with my whole heart, and I love and miss my parents and siblings as well. They make life sweeter and my joy fuller.

The king of the egg hunt
I’m even more grateful for them when I recognize the atoning sacrifice of my Savior. #Becauseofhim I can be with those cute munchkins, my parents, and my love for eternity, and that is the best gift anyone has ever given me. I know that if I strive every day to do my best and become a better person, I can. I’m so grateful my Older Brother and for his sacrifice. That, more than anything, is the beauty of Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment