Monday, January 18, 2016

The Calm Before the Storm

Today feels like the calm before the storm. We've rarely had such a low key day. This morning around 11:30 we went and got our car key copied, I went to the store for groceries, and we got our washing machine fixed. This afternoon, I've been reading while Tyler intermittently does homework and naps. It seems crazy that with all the changes (and probable chaos) in our near future, we've spent the day mostly in our living room relaxing.
I'm not begrudging the much needed break from craziness, especially since we have been super busy leading up to Tyler's sister's wedding. It just seems surreal to be sitting in our quiet apartment, knowing that any day now our little boy could join us. Every time he kicks or moves I feel a little awed. Every life is so miraculous.
I don't think there's any way to really be prepared for all the emotions of the home stretch of pregnancy. The anticipation is almost crippling. I honestly don't know how much longer I can wait to hold and love on this baby. I feel ready for the intensity of labor in part because I know it's necessary in order for me to meet this little one I already adore, and I know that labor and delivery means not being pregnant anymore. As wonderful as pregnancy truly has been, I'm amazed by the brilliance of the timing of the whole gestational process. As of today, 40 weeks seems like the perfect amount of time to be pregnant before labor and delivery.
Our life is on the precipice of a giant shift. I know our life will never be the same, but I also know that I can't really even fathom how different things will be. I'm not convinced that you can ever be 100% prepared for the way having a baby will change your life. I don't think I ever will be. But I do feel like I have done my part to get ready for this baby to join our family, and I'm so excited for the changes coming our way. The contradiction of the situation hardly seems to matter. I wouldn't wish for things to be any different.

No comments:

Post a Comment